NSA surveillance, wiretapping and its impact on culture and country
“The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of the citizens in a democracy” Montesquieu
- The facts:
- A great introduction for friends and family members who want to catch up on this story A great video of Alan Grayson on the NSA surveillance revelations
- Animation about cell phone data mining. Get to know your meta data and what it means for you and the Internet.
- Making sense of the NSA Prism leak as the real details emerge. A text summary
- Why is it important?
- If the federal government had access to every email you’ve ever written and every phone call you’ve ever made, it’s almost certain that they could find something you’ve done which violates a provision in the 27,000 pages of federal statues or 10,000 administrative regulations. You probably do have something to hide, you just don’t know it yet.
- One of the ways that tyranny can be established is if there are too many laws for people to know if they are breaking one… you have to add all the delegated authorities to create regulations… ever evolving international treaties… If there are so many laws that you almost certainly will be inadvertently breaking one, how do you avoid prosecution? Why, you have to make those in positions of power like you. You are no longer living in liberty, instead you have freedom by the grace and favor of whoever is not persecuting you. If they do not like you, they can get you locked up. If nothing else having too many laws and regulations is an invitation to graft and corruption.
- Law prof and cop agree: never ever ever ever ever ever ever talk to the cops about a crime, even if you’re innocent. Excellent video. But thanks to the NSA you are talking to the authorities every time you phone, email, message or text anyone.
- Numbers are still on the side of liberty: Rasmussen: 57 Percent Believe NSA Data Will Be Used Against Political Opponents.
- Martin Luther King Jr. was wiretapped and sent an anonymous letter and tape from J Edgar Hoover encouraging him to kill himself
- Remember way back when Janet Napolitano and DHS listed conservatives, pro-lifers, ex vets, Christians as potential terrorists. Did that enable NSA to target and scrutinize the phone and computer data of people associated with those groups? Is a great question, inspired by a great post:
Obama represents the counterculture of the 1960s. The part that hated the culture and the institutions of the country. They are the ones who spit on Viet Nam vets as they came home, and chanted “Ho, Ho, Ho Chi Min, the Viet Cong are going to win” as they rioted for a communist victory in Viet Nam.
They didn’t like America. And they went on a long march through the institutions they own today: academia, the media, the press, the “permanent” government.
Pushing back, the rest of the country became more reflexively more pro-country. But that is changing thanks to the Obama administration. Now that the hard core cadres of the Left have captured the Presidency, the patriotism of the Country Class may be turning…. love is reciprocated with hate, there is a reaction…..
My admiration for law enforcement, for the military, for teachers, for trust in the basic justice of the government is disappearing. I may soon end up as part of the NEW American counterculture. After all, if the country under Obama represent the dominant culture, then those of us who were once patriots will now become what they once were.
On Reality, America and the world today
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.” Frederic Bastiat
- Currency Markets Are Rigged… All markets are rigged
- Big Banks and Other Corporate Bigwigs Benefit from Illegal Spying: “In short, the “national security” apparatus has been hijacked to serve the needs of big business”
- More evidence of bank corruption: ” Employees who were caught admitting that Bank of America had received financial documents or that the borrower was actually entitled to a permanent loan modification where discipline and often terminated without warning.”
- Global warming climate models are wrong: But we must create a market in carbon dioxide emissions, so it can be manipulated to the profit of the few and detriment of the many.
- C. A. Fitts On Debt, Centralization, Money, Equity Markets, Currency Wars, and Gold. An excellent description of the world today in the linked video.